Friday, August 27, 2010

What's the point?







Have you ever stopped to ask what the point of education is? I really felt God ask me this the other day. Surely there's got to be an end point, a reason that we believe it is necessary to educate our children. And I think if we stop to examine that and look at it in detail, it'll be telling in showing up what we believe about our lives.


Do we believe that education ensures our children a good job? Do we believe that it will cause them to be successful (and what does that mean to you anyway? Money - if so how much is enough? A job - what kind?). Do we believe that they need a good education to get into the 'right' university, or university at all - and why is that our end goal?


What is the point of education? Is it to show them the wonderful world that God has created and how much there is out there to enjoy and experience? Is it to show them how fearfully and wonderfully made we all are? Is it to equip them to teach others about God's love? Is it to allow them to grow into all that God intended to be so that they can be most satisfied in God and therefore bring him glory (John Piper)?


Just got me thinking - what's the point of education - at home or school?

1 comment:

  1. For me it's your last two points combined: to allow them to grow into all that God intended them to be so that they can glorify Him and teach others about HIs love. But phew, that takes so much trust from us as parents. A while back the Lord said to me:"I will teach them all they need to know-stop worrying about what they need to learn" I totally got it then-walking in that freedom must be awesome (because I DO believe it must be so freeing to ultimately let God be their teacher) but actually letting go of the need to be in control of their future has been the challenge!
    Lovely to read your thoughts again-it's been a while since I stopped by and you've reminded me of so many good "things" again! Thanks! Love Nikki

    ReplyDelete