Saturday, June 19, 2010

Reasons We're Homeschooling - the God one

(Perhaps before reading this read the "Read Me First Page"!) I have thoroughly enjoyed the pursuit of understanding the ethos behind homeschooling, the conversations I have had with many homeschooling families, and the inner delight and excitement that has dawned within me. It witnesses within my spirit, that this is right for our family; that although we know of no one else who does this, it is for us, at this time.
God has shown me time and time again, that this is a season for me to stand on my own before God, and seek him for what is right for me, rather than watching women I admire and trying to emulate what they do...it's about vision vs formula. The endless guilt, and pressure to do as others do – this path is one God is leading me down to ensure that I can live free, and that I can trust him with all my heart and lean not on my understanding.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
  in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Surprisingly for me, there are a number of scriptures in the Bible that talk of education – instruction/teaching etc. This has confronted me on two levels – one, do we dare to take these scriptures literally and believe that it is our job as parents to teach and educate (a sidenote - I am sadly bemused how easy it is to selectively obey scriptures). Secondly, it doesn't make much sense to me how you can still do this if one's child is not at home interacting with you on a day to day basis. School takes them outside of the home for much of their waking time.
There are ancient paths that lead in the way everlasting - This is what the LORD says: "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls." (Jer 6:15-17)
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.
(Deuteronomy 6 4-9)
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. 
(Prov 22vs6)
This is what we are called to, to train them according to their bent – some scholars believe that this includes training them up in their vocation – as parents we can so clearly see our children's strengths and weaknesses, we can see their giftings and abilities. With an ear close to God, we can channel them from an early age, and cut out years of wasted time and energy, and help them walk into their identity and destiny with a flourish! None of this ending school without knowing what to do!
Throughout these proverbs there are references to a father and mother teaching children, receiving instruction, with reference to young children being taught. Surely it should be our primary goal as parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment