Thursday, October 21, 2010

life or death

Christianity is Life. Or Death. Depending on how you live it. How I live it. How we interpret the Bible. And how we talk to each other about the interpretations we have.

Let me give you an example. We feel for our family, that it is not right for us to be in debt, in any form. We believe it is a biblical mandate to owe no man money. Because of that core belief, we do not have accounts, we do not spend beyond our income, we even feel it is right for us not to have a mortgage, because in essence we will owe the bank money. Now I know that that concept is foreign. It goes against what the world teaches about money, saving, investing, and against pretty much what all churches teach about good stewardship. But for us, it's Life. It''s a Spirit thing. And perhaps it'll change one day, I can't say for certain. But I do know that we have complete peace in this.

We also feel free to not have health insurance in this season - and we have the grace for it (and just so you know, we have had it in the past!). By that I mean He seems to have given us such a clean bill of health. Are we foolish? Depends whose eyes you're looking at me through :) !

But if you feel condemned, or coerced into living my way, under the illusion of Christianity, then it's actually death.

Life when led by the Spirit.

Death when you follow others under the illusion of Christianity.

If you try to be me, or I try to be you, we lose the freedom he promised us.

It's only in the Spirit we can see clearly.

It's the unsettling freedom of Grace that scares us silly.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all the posts lately-been challenging my thoughts again! I love the simplicity of this one especially.

    ReplyDelete