Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Busy, busy, busy!


It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by.  How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment?  For the moment passes, it is forgotten; the mood is gone; life itself is gone.  That is where the writer scores over his fellows:  he catches the changes of his mind on the hop. 
Vita Sackville-West


Funny which things we choose to sideline when our lives get busy - I've been reflecting on this the last little while, and just realising that I've been side lining relationships and existing in a purely functional zone. There's something about school, even nursery school, that makes the last few weeks of the last term somewhat ruthless in its pace. And I sense that my writing in this blog is an indicator of where I'm at with my head space and the balance in my life.

Writing clears my head. It's like breathing eucalyptus scent when you're all clogged up. I am lucid and with it and can think straight. You know the movie “Chariot's of Fire”? In a scene Eric Liddle says, “When I run I feel his [God] pleasure.” And I guess I can say that about writing and cycling – when I really secure my thoughts and pin them onto paper/screen, I feel alive. (I've written that before haven't I? :))

But clawing one's way back into a life of meaning, a life of relating to others is a challenge to say the least. I guess the key is not to lose the balance in the first place. People...relationships...these are the only things I believe we will carry with us into eternity.


No comments:

Post a Comment